Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Recipe of the Week: Potato Leek Soup

So it is after Labor Day now and here in New England we're having a rainy Tuesday. Yesterday my husband and I went to Shartner Farms and picked up some fresh produce. Knowing that it would be rainy today, I decided to get fresh veggies for Potato Leek Soup. Mike set up the bread machine to start in time for fresh bread to be ready for dinner. I am making a variation on a few recipes that I perused (as usual I can't just go by the recipe!).

I am slow-cooking this recipe, but it could be done more quickly in a regular stock pot over medium heat.

Here's what is in the pot:

  • Red and Russet Potatoes (cubed)
  • Two Celery Stalks cut into large, about 2 inch pieces (smaller if you're not slow-cooking)
  • Three cups of Carrots, cut into two inch sections and sliced horizontally (smaller if you're not slow-cooking)
  • Two Small Onions, carmelized  in a separate pan
  • Optional: I am adding two diced, sauteed chicken breasts
  • Four Leeks, sliced large (using only the white and light green parts)
  • Fresh Rosemary stalk (from my garden)
  • Fresh sage, chopped (from my garden)
  • Fresh ground pepper (to taste)
  • Dried Thyme (about a teaspoon)
  • Chicken broth and water to top of pot (use your judgement)

Once the potatoes are cooked, I will take about half of the broth, potatoes, celery and carrots and blend it in the food processor (you can use a blender if you want). Then add it back into the pot and continue cooking. If you like a creamier soup, you can add heavy cream, corn starch or even a little bit of flour to thicken it. At the end, I will add a pinch of salt at a time until the flavors of the other ingredients shine a bit more (you should let the salt bring out the other flavors rather than making the other stuff taste salty).

If we lived in San Francisco, we would make this a pretty thick soup and serve it in bread bowls. Because it would be silly to waste the opportunity to pair up sour dough and leek flavors. But since we're in New England, we're going to have this with some fresh bread machine bread. I will post that recipe in a later recipe of the week. We have a favorite that is by far the best we've tried.

Photos will be added to this post after we chow down!

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment